Polestar, a Swedish-Chinese electric performance car brand, has recently unveiled its first electric SUV, the Polestar 3. EV SUV is expected to rival the likes of Mercedes, BMW and Audi in the luxury segment, with a range of advanced features and technologies. In this article, we will review the Polestar 3 electric car based on its specifications, design, features, price and more.
Polestar 3 has a WLTP range has futuristic design that reflects its electric nature. EV SUV has a coupe-like silhouette, with a sloping roofline and a short rear overhang.
Polestar 3 has a futuristic design that reflects its electric nature. Polestar 3 has a coupe-like silhouette, with a sloping roofline and a short rear overhang. front fascia features a slim grille that houses the Polestar logo and a radar sensor, flanked by LED headlights with distinctive ‘Thor’s hammer’ DRLs. lower bumper has large air intakes and a skid plate for an aggressive look. side profile has clean lines and minimal creases, with flush door handles and black cladding around the wheel arches. rear end has a full-width LED taillight that wraps around the tailgate, along with a spoiler and a diffuser. Polestar 3 also has a panoramic glass roof that adds to its visual appeal.
Polestar 3 has a spacious and luxurious interior that offers comfort and convenience for the occupants. Polestar 3 has leather-free seats that are made from recycled materials and vegan microfiber. seats are electrically adjustable, heated and ventilated, and have memory and massage function for the driver and the front passenger. Polestar 3 also has a four-zone automatic climate control system that allows each occupant to set their preferred temperature and airflow. climate control system also features an air quality sensor that monitors the air quality inside and outside the car, and activates an air purification system when needed.
Polestar 3 is powered by a dual-motor setup that consists of one electric motor on each axle. front motor produces 204 hp and 330 Nm of torque, while the rear motor produces 285 hp and 510 Nm of torque. combined output of the motors is 489 hp and 840 Nm of torque in standard form, and 517 hp and 910 Nm of torque with the optional performance pack. motors are connected to single-speed gearboxes that deliver power to the wheels. Polestar 3 has a rear-biased all-wheel drive system, where more power is sent to the rear wheels for better handling and traction. EV SUV also features a torque-vectoring dual-clutch function on the rear axle, where the rear motor can be automatically decoupled. This allows the car to run on the front motor only under certain circumstances to save energy.
Polestar 3 has a large 111 kWh battery pack that consists of prismatic cells housed in a protective aluminium case with boron steel reinforcement and liquid cooling. battery pack is integrated into the floor of the car, lowering the center of gravity and improving the weight distribution. battery pack provides a WLTP range of up to 620 km on a single charge, which is impressive for an electric SUV of this size and performance. battery pack can be charged at a peak rate of 250 kW, which means it can be replenished from 10% to 80% in about 20 minutes at a fast-charging station. Polestar 3 also has bidirectional charging capability, which means it can supply power back to the grid or to other devices when needed. Polestar 3 also features a heat pump that helps to maintain the optimal temperature of the battery and the cabin, as well as to pre-condition them before driving.
Polestar 3 has a WLTP range of up to 620 km on a single charge, which is impressive for an electric SUV of this size and performance. range may vary depending on the driving conditions, the driving style, the weather and the use of accessories. Polestar 3 also has an adjustable one-pedal driving option, which allows the driver to control the acceleration and deceleration of the car using only the accelerator pedal. This helps to reduce brake wear and increase regenerative braking, which recovers energy from the wheels and feeds it back to the battery.
Polestar 3 has a top speed of 210 km/h, which is electronically limited for safety reasons. EV SUV can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 5 seconds in standard form, and in 4.7 seconds with the optional performance pack. Polestar 3 has a sporty and agile character, dual-motor powertrain, rear-biased all-wheel drive system, torque vectoring and adaptive air suspension.
Polestar 3 has a host of features that make it a smart and comfortable electric SUV. Some of the key features are:
- Infotainment: Polestar 3 has a 14.5-inch touchscreen that runs on Google’s native Android Automotive operating system, which offers access to Google Maps, Google Assistant, Google Play Store and other apps and services. touchscreen also supports wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, as well as over-the-air updates. Polestar 3 also has a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster that displays various information and settings for the driver.
- Audio: EV SUV has a Harman Kardon premium sound system with 15 speakers and a subwoofer that deliver immersive sound quality. sound system also features active noise cancellation technology that reduces unwanted noise inside the cabin.
- Climate: Polestar 3 has a four-zone automatic climate control system that allows each occupant to set their preferred temperature and airflow. climate control system also features an air quality sensor that monitors the air quality inside and outside the car, and activates an air purification system when needed.
- Seats: Polestar 3 has leather-free seats that are made from recycled materials and vegan microfiber. seats are electrically adjustable, heated and ventilated, and have memory function for the driver and the front passenger. seats also have massage function for added comfort.
- Lighting: EV SUV has ambient lighting that can be customized according to the mood and preference of the occupants. ambient lighting can change color and intensity depending on the driving mode or other settings.
- Safety: EV SUV has a comprehensive safety package that includes five radar modules, five external cameras, 12 external ultrasonic sensors and Volvo’s latest safety software. se enable various driver-assist and safety features such as adaptive cruise control, lane centering, blind spot detection, cross traffic alert, collision avoidance, emergency braking, park assist and more. EV SUV also has an optional Pilot Pack with Lidar that will add an additional Nvidia control unit, three cameras and four ultrasonic sensors. This will enable enhanced 3D-scanning of the car’s surroundings and offer more accurate real-time data.
Polestar Price in India
Polestar 3 is expected to be priced around $75,000 (Indian Rupees 58.5 lakhs) in the global markets, which makes it competitive with other luxury electric SUVs such as the Mercedes EQC, BMW iX3 and Audi e-tron. However, there is no official confirmation on whether the Polestar 3 will be launched in India or not.
How to book
Polestar 3 is available for pre-order now, with a refundable deposit of $1,000. Customers can pre-order the Polestar 3 online or at a Polestar Space, which are physical showrooms where they can experience the brand and its products. Customers can also customize their Polestar 3 online, choosing from various options such as colors, wheels, interior materials and packages. Polestar 3 will be delivered to customers in the fourth quarter of 2023, starting with the Chinese-made units, followed by the U.S.-made units in mid-2024.
Pros and cons
Polestar 3 has many advantages that make it a compelling choice for electric SUV buyers. Some of the pros are:
- Sleek and futuristic design that stands out from the crowd
- Impressive range and performance that rival other luxury electric SUVs
- Advanced technology and features that offer convenience, comfort and safety
- Sustainable materials and production that reduce environmental impact
- Software-defined architecture that enables over-the-air updates and future enhancements
However, the Polestar 3 also has some drawbacks that may deter some customers. Some of the cons are:
- High price tag that makes it inaccessible for many buyers
- Limited availability and production capacity that may cause delays and shortages
- Lack of charging infrastructure and support in some markets
- Uncertainty about reliability and quality of a new brand and model
Polestar 3 faces stiff competition from other electric SUVs in the market, such as:
- Tesla Model X: Tesla Model X is one of the most popular and established electric SUVs in the market, with a loyal fan base and a strong brand image. Model X offers a longer range (up to 670 km), faster acceleration (0-100 km/h in 2.6 seconds) and more seating capacity (up to seven) than the Polestar 3. However, the Model X is also more expensive (starting at $120,990), less stylish (with a bulky and dated design) and less refined (with quality issues and glitches) than the Polestar 3.
- Tesla Model Y: Tesla Model Y is a smaller and more affordable electric SUV than the Model X, but still offers a decent range (up to 525 km), performance (0-100 km/h in 3.7 seconds) and space (up to five seats). Model Y is also more efficient, agile and practical than the Model X, with a lower drag coefficient, a heat pump and a large cargo area. However, the Model Y is also less luxurious, less spacious and less advanced than the Polestar 3, with fewer features, options and technologies.
- Jaguar I-Pace: Jaguar I-Pace is another luxury electric SUV that competes with the Polestar 3, with a similar design, range (up to 470 km) and performance (0-100 km/h in 4.8 seconds). I-Pace also offers a premium interior, a smooth ride and a sporty handling that appeal to driving enthusiasts. However, the I-Pace is also more expensive (starting at $71,300), less powerful (400 hp) and less innovative than the Polestar 3, with an outdated infotainment system, a smaller battery (90 kWh) and fewer driver-assist features.
- BMW iX: BMW iX is a new electric SUV from the German automaker that aims to challenge the Polestar 3, with a similar price (starting at $84,100), range (up to 600 km) and power (516 hp). iX also offers a spacious interior, a luxurious cabin and a high-quality sound system that enhance its appeal. However, the iX is also less attractive, less efficient and less user-friendly than the Polestar 3, with a controversial design, a higher weight (2.5 tons) and a complex interface.
Polestar 3 is an impressive electric SUV that sets a new standard for premium SUVs in the electric age. Polestar 3 EV SUV combines a sleek and futuristic design, an impressive range and performance, an advanced technology and features, a sustainable materials and production and a software-defined architecture that make it a smart and comfortable electric SUV. Polestar 3 also has some drawbacks, such as a high price tag, limited availability and production capacity, lack of charging infrastructure and support in some markets and uncertainty about reliability and quality of a new brand and model. However, these drawbacks may be outweighed by its advantages for many buyers who are looking for an innovative and exciting electric SUV.
Polestar 3 will be available for delivery in the fourth quarter of 2023, starting with the Chinese-made units, followed by the U.S.-made units in mid-2024.
Polestar 3 will start at $85,300 for the Long Range Dual motor model, and $89,900 for the Long Range Dual motor model with the performance pack.
ou can pre-order the Polestar 3 online or at a Polestar Space, with a refundable deposit of $1,000. You can also customize your Polestar 3 online, choosing from various options such as colors, wheels, interior materials and packages.
Polestar 3 can go up to 620 km (WLTP) on a single charge, thanks to its large 111 kWh battery pack.
Polestar 3 can charge at a peak rate of 250 kW, which means it can be replenished from 10% to 80% in about 20 minutes at a fast-charging station.
Polestar 3 can go up to 210 km/h, which is electronically limited for safety reasons. The EV SUV can also accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 5 seconds in standard form, and in 4.7 seconds with the optional performance pack.